S/JHS/BAPT/IST [...] (to the right of Saint John the Baptist, in red pigment), SCA/KA/TS/RIN (to the right of Saint Catherine, in red pigment), ECCE/AGN/VS/DEI (on the scroll of Saint John the Baptist, in blue pigment)
77 × 49.7 cm (30 1/4 × 19 5/8 in.)
Charles H. and Mary F. S. Worcester Collection
Extended information about this artwork
Frank Jewett Mather, Jr., “Roerich Museum to Sell Many Old Masters,” Art News 28, 20 (1930), p. 3.
“Roerich Museum Is to Sell Its Old Masters,” Art Digest 4, 11 (1930), p. 15 (ill.).
Daniel Catton Rich, “Two Trecento Venetian Panels,” Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago 24 (1930), pp. 86–89 (ill.).
Evelyn Sandberg-Vavalà, “Maestro Paolo Veneziano,” Burlington Magazine 57 (1930), pp. 171, 177.
The Art Institute of Chicago, A Guide to the Paintings in the Permanent Collection, 1932, p. 192.
Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance, Oxford, 1932, p. 418.
Bernard Berenson, Pitture italiane del Rinascimento, Milan, 1936, p. 359.
Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance: Venetian School, 2 vols., London, 1957, vol. 1, p. 127.
Daniel Catton Rich, Catalogue of the Charles H. and Mary F. S. Worcester Collection of Paintings, Sculture, and Drawings, Chicago, 1938, p. 5, no. 1 (ill.).
Evelyn Sandberg-Vavalà, “Maestro Paolo Veneziano: His Paintings in America and Elsewhere,” (1939) in Michelangelo Muraro, Paolo da Venezia, University Park, Pennsylvania, and London, 1970, pp. 97, 98 n. 7.
“Chicago Gets Handsome Gift,” Pictures on Exhibit 9 (April 1947), p. 14.
Rodolfo Pallucchini, La pittura veneziana del trecento, Lezioni tenute alla Facoltà di Lettere dell’Università di Bologna, Bologna, 1955, p. 131.
The Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection, 1961, p. 349.
Hans Huth, “Italienische Kunstwerke im Art Institute von Chicago, USA,” in Miscellanea Bibliothecae Hertzianae, Munich, 1961, p. 516.
Rodolfo Pallucchini, La pittura veneziana del trecento, Venice and Rome, 1964, p. 51, fig. 171.
Brigitte Klesse, Seidenstoffe in der italienischen Malerei des 14. Jahrhunderts, Bern, 1967, p. 269, no. 162d.
Michelangelo Muraro, Paolo da Venezia, University Park, Pennsylvania, and London, 1970, pp. 55, 73 n. 47, 106, fig. 18.
Burton B. Fredericksen and Federico Zeri, Census of Pre-Nineteenth-Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1972, pp. 158, 382, 412, 571.
George Kaftal and Fabio Bisogni, Saints in Italian Art: Iconography of the Saints of North East Italy, Florence, 1978, col. 509, no. 150g.
Christopher Lloyd, with contributions by Margherita Andreotti, Larry J. Feinberg, and Martha Wolff, Italian Paintings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection, Chicago, 1993, pp. 185–89 (ill.).
Robert Gibbs, “Paolo Veneziano (Paolo da Venezia)” in The Dictionary of Art, vol. 24, London, 1996, pp. 32-33.
Mojmír S. Frinta, Punched Decoration on Late Medieval Panel and Miniature Painting, Part I, Prague, 1998, p. 130.
Filippo Pedrocco, Paolo Veneziano, Milan, 2003, pp. 111, 116, 130, 192–93, no. 24, ill.
The Art Institute of Chicago, A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, June 1 to November 1, 1933, no. 87, as School of Lorenzo Veneziano.
The Art Institute of Chicago, A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, June 1 to November 1, 1934, no. 35, as School of Lorenzo Veneziano.
The Art Institute of Chicago, Silk Road: History and Metaphor, 2006-2007 (no cat.).
Grimaldi, Venice (according to the Roerich Museum sale catalogue); The Roerich Museum, New York; sold American Art Association, New York, March 28, 1930, no. 150 (ill.), as Lorenzo Veneziano, to Robert B. Harshe acting on behalf of Charles H. Worcester (Harshe was listed as the buyer in the published results of the Roerich sale); Charles H. Worcester, Chicago, 1930–47; on loan to the Art Institute from 1933 (according to a document in curatorial files dated October 11, 1945, indicates that this panel was owned by his wife, Mary F. S. Worcester); given to the Art Institute, 1947.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .